- A composite student score of 85 on the Stanford Achievement Test for grades 1-6 underscores the exceptional academic program offered at MHBS.
- Each fall the elementary physical education department overseen by Mrs. Denise Willingham stages a fun-filled evening at the gym that highlights all elementary students. The 2012 program was held on Thursday, November 1.
- Student classes in Spanish, art, music, library and computer supplement the strong core academic offerings.
EXCELLENT TEST SCORES!
A SPECIAL P.E. PROGRAM
NEW ELEMENTARY WEBSITE:Elementary Website
The new website is dedicated to the Mars Hill elementary school. The site features the Class of the Week, Student of the Week, and other information for elementary students and parents. The site also features an elementary school calendar and the weekly publication of "The Principal's Page".
RENAISSANCE FAIRE WINNERS 2011 ART CONTEST
Congratulations to Mrs. Denise Willingham, Mrs. Amy Young and MHBS art students for excelling in the annual Renaissance Art Faire:
First Place - Rhett Willingham; Third Place-Handel Brewer
First Place - Evan Davidson; Third Place-Tyler Foster
Third Place - Nick Smith
AUTHOR DAY HIGHLIGHTS THE ELEMENTARY PROGRAM
Nationally-known authors and illustrators visit campus each year to motivate students to read and write as well as to explore other creative talents. Nationally renowned author of the Fly Guy book series, Tedd Arnold will visit our elementary campus in April, 2014. The event will be held in memory of Mr. Lawrence Williams who servered Mars Hill as a teacher and administrator for over forty years.
NEW TECHNOLOGY ADDED (updated December 17, 2012)
Remaining on the cutting edge of new educational technological advances is important to the elementary program. Our elementary students continue to excel using the most modern technological advances. In October, 2012, the school acquired an iPad cart with 30 iPads. The mobile cart is used in all classrooms and students use them to enhance the core curriculum. All the elementary teachers use Smartboards in their classrooms each day.
Students also continue to be engaged by the four recently added components to the 21st Century Technology Initiative: 1. One Smart Table Interactive Learning Center. It is a SmartBoard-like device that lies flat and is on wheels and can be moved from classroom to classroom for student use. Children manipulate objects, shapes, letters, words, and numbers as they stand around the board. 2. Two classroom sets (40 total) of interwrite student response pulse clickers. These hand-held devices allow students to take assessments at their seats as they appear on the SmartBoard. Teachers are given immediate feedback of each student’s individual response. The data can appear in various forms for teachers to assess learning outcomes immediately. 3. Two classroom sets (3 per dock and one teacher board) of interwrite wireless slates with charging docks. These hand-held interactive mobile whiteboards allow students to write and respond at their seats or at a station or anywhere in the room while the teacher can view the students’ work from her own board anywhere in the room. 4. A VariQuest Digital Cutout Maker. This machine, hooked to a computer and accessible on a rolling cart, allows access to nearly 4,000 graphics and fonts that can be cut out of paper for bulletin boards, projects, and other classroom use.
VITAL COMPONENTS OF THE ELEMENTARY PROGRAM:
- Child-centered instruction
- Developmentally appropriate instruction
- Literacy centers
- Educational field trips
- Educating the total child (Luke 2:52)
- Differentiated, data-driven instruction
- Learning centers
- Patriotism, service, character education, community awareness
- Peer tutors
- Kindergarten preparatory program (K4) if not ready for kindergarten
- Family-centered environment
EXTRA OPPORTUNITIES FOR ELEMENTARY STUDENTS:
- A strong scouting program
- Piano Classes
- After-School Art Classes
- Drama and Musicals
- Before- and After-School Care
- Junior Pro Basketball
- Florence Recreation League Football
- Renaissance Faire Art Competition
- Arts Alive
- Duke Talent Search
- Book buddies